Monday, September 17, 2007

Michelle's Weekend

Okay folks, I know our blog has been a bit neglected. My excuse is that I was busy with a workshop this past weekend. I spent Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday at an event hosted by Kootenay Restorative Justice. I traveled to picturesque Slocan, located in the beautiful Slocan Valley. It is only about an hour from our home in Nelson, and is a very peaceful and soothing drive.

This is where I spent the weekend, G. E. Graham Community School. The workshop was officially a Restorative/Community Justice Forum Facilitator training course. I will be receiving a certificate of participation soon, and after I have observed, co-facilitated, and facilitated at least 5 forums, I can apply for certification. Community Justice Forums (CJFs) are used all across the province and the country and can be used to deal with minor incidents involving vandalism all the way up to assaults. The trainer, Kay Medland, is based in Trail, where CJFs involving young offenders are conducted. CJFs can be used as an alternative to the traditional court system.
The model we were using is based on restorative justice (RJ) principles. For those of you who have not been indoctrinated by me, RJ views crime as a harm that is done to both victims and communities. Therefore, to repair the harm, offenders, victims, and communities must all work together. The aim of RJ is to hold offenders accountable for their actions while supporting victims and allowing offenders to make amends for their behaviour. Key to RJ is Braithwaite's theory of reintegrative shaming, that using shame to condemn an individual's actions while still offering support to the person will allow him to rejoin society instead of being excluded. That's it in a nutshell, I could go on much longer, but then I would have to charge you.
The content of the workshop was review for me, but it was a good opportunity to participate in some roleplays and meet new people. I stayed at the Lemon Creek Lodge on Friday night, and I would recommend it to anyone heading this way for an adventure. The restaurant is great and the beds are super comfortable.

No comments: